Two people caused a small fire and one was injured trying to make hash oil Thursday afternoon in northeast Colorado Springs, according to police.
Trying to extract oil from marijuana is illegal and can be dangerous. The incident happened in a house on the 300 block of Locust Drive that also had a marijuana grow.
Austin Lente, 21, and one unnamed juvenile were arrested on suspicion of misdemeanor fourth-degree arson. Lente was booked into the El Paso County jail and held on $10,000 bond. An investigation is ongoing, police said.
It was unclear whether Lente or the juvenile was the one who was injured, but the injured person suffered superficial burns to the face and was checked out and released at the scene.
Hash oil is made by spraying butane into a pipe stuffed with marijuana leaves and stems that are unable to be smoked. People often don't think about venting the area, police said, so any kind of flame or spark can ignite the fuel vapor cloud that gets stuck in the room. It's similar to trying too long to light a gas stove, letting too much gas out before it all ignites at once.
Contact Kassondra Cloos: 636-0362
Twitter: @Kassondra Cloos