Woman burned by Starbucks coffee awarded $100K

Mary Bowerman, USA TODAY Network Updated: May 19, 2017 at 7:58 am • Published: May 19, 2017 0

A Florida woman who was severely burned after the lid popped off a cup of Starbucks coffee and spilled on her lap was awarded $100,000 for her injuries Thursday. 

Joanne Mogavero, a mother of three, sustained first and second degree burns on her mid-section after the lid popped off a 20-ounce cup of coffee in 2014, pouring 190-degree liquid in her lap, according to a statement from Morgan & Morgan attorneys, who represented Mogavero. 

Mogavero's attorney argued that Starbucks should warn its customers that the lids can pop off. According to the statement, a Starbucks representative testified during the trial that the coffee company receives 80 complaints a month about issues with lids popping off or leaking. 

Read more at usatoday.com.

Comment Policy

Like us on Facebook